The Slop – The Boss Hog Burger from Hog’s Breath. 6 / 10
Every now and then I spoil myself by getting a hamburger. My waistline doesn’t like it. My doctor really doesn’t like it, but I do like it, so there. Last night I had the honour of taking my two kids to the local Hog’s Breath steakhouse. Hey, Superwife was away, and at least one kid ate free (kids eat free on Tuesdays – one kid per adult.)
This is what I got.
It’s the Boss Hog burger. Double meat patty, cheese, sauce, some green stuff, beetroot, and onions, all served with curly fries.
- It won points for sheer size. That it needed scaffolding in the form of a steak knife to stop it toppling over was a good sign. I had to turn it upside down at one point, and that’s always a pretty good thing too.
- I needed extra napkins, but more because it was greasy than sloppy. Didn’t get much dribbling onto the plate.
- It was filling, and satisfying enough that I didn’t need dessert.
- The meat to bun ratio was all out of whack. The patties were not as wide as the bun. A good burger gets the patty as wide, or even better, wider, than the bun.
- The patty also lacked seasoning. Sure there was some sauce in there, but a little salt and pepper goes a long way. The cheese was also very mild, and could have improved the burger incredibly if it had been tasty rather than generic cheddar one step away from plastic.
- Extras like bacon or egg were available, but for the money, should have been included in the first place.
- The bun itself was a little on the sweet & soft side. It went all mushy while I ate. A bun with a crisper crust would have improved it no end.
- PICKLES! C’mon, even that scourge upon the Earth, McDonalds knows to put pickles in their “burgers”.
So, all up, it gets 6 points out of 10. I’ll probably post another burger review some time soon, or at least when I can fit into my pants again…